The guest list for the launch of ‘The Peace Fighters’ in Geneva (April 17) was more than impressive with a dizzying array of diplomats, senior politicians and international press. The Director of UNICEF, Irish Ambassador, British Ambassador, current and past British consul generals – and topping that the initiative received a personal message from the President of Ireland Mary McAleese.
At the UNICEF HQ in the Swiss city Murray and Emery’s Fighting For Peace programme ‘The peace Fighters’ was officially launched - and the former world champs are still gasping for air from the overwhelming support from world leaders where the duo unveiled a scheme that was conceived and trailed in Belfast being rolled out and celebrated Europe-wide.
At the launch it was displayed how the initiative kicked off with speeches from British and Irish ministers, the head of UNICEF along with Cormac McCann director of sport development for the Belfast City council who travelled with the team. Also a video link with a message from the Belfast Lord Mayor backing the launch. BBC’s Michael Appleton, freelance producer for about face media was also present. Many world kickboxing figureheads jetted in to attend the launch, WKN world president Stephane Cabrera, Corsican Andrelli Tousaint and top Scottish promoter Mr Albert Ross lend their support.
Murray and Emery’s Fighting For Peace scheme has been two years in the making. It is aimed to promote peace and respect through sport. It will bring together leading groups involved in martial arts and combat sports across Europe and organise inter-community meetings and international events including competitions, training, courses, trips and demonstrations.
It will particularly focus its activities to benefit disadvantaged children. “If we are to seriously tackle the issue of collapsing youth behaviour, we have to do it now,” said Murray. “This programme is a well realised and proper leap forward. I look forward to seeing what we can do with it across the continent.”
The team finished of the launch by a special guided tour of the United Nations Headquarters in Geneva.
More on the latest from ‘The Peace Fighters’ and their initiative of Fighting For Peace can be found here.
Older news and Videos from ‘The Peace Fighters’.
- Peacefighters Visit St, Mary’s Grammar School Belfast
- Photos from the PeaceFighters trip to Malta
- Peace Fighters Event in Belfast April 2014
- ProKick Swiss Blog. March 2013.
- Happy Birthday, Mr Emery!
- Halloween Fright Night In Belfast
- Cross Community Trip To Ireland’s Capital
- Peacefighters to hit Japan
- ProKick Peacefighters on way to Malta
- The Peacefighters in Barbados
- Billy and Carl receive top Awards in Spain
- Knock-out: The Peace Fighters initiative at 25th UN Human Rights event Geneva
- The Peace Fighters back at UN HQ Geneva
- Villars Tourism Backs Belfast
- All Aboard: ProKick Switzerland Trip
- Prokick Kids Swiss Trip
- Kids Sparring for Switzerland
- World Martial Arts Games 2013 In Switzerland
- Olympic Torch Shines In Prokick
- The Peacefighters initiative Hits Mexico
- St Patrick’s Day Bash
- Peace Fighters Japanese Connection
- Fighting breaks out at UN Place des Nations
- The PeaceFighters Press Release
- Day Of Peace Geneva
- The PeaceFighters Launched
- Carl Emery and Billy Murray’s initiative backed by Belfast City Council